We all know what’s good and bad for our own diets, but what about feeding a well-balanced diet to your dog or cat?
Well, as an animal lover, you would consider them to be members of your family. With a proper balanced diet loaded with nutrition, they can maintain good health conditions. Like humans, a typical balanced diet for pets should include vitamins, minerals, protein, fat, and carbohydrates. Generally, vitamin supplements are required only if the veterinarian has prescribed them to address a vitamin deficit.
Your pet’s nutritional needs: How to decide the meal?
It’s possible that your pet enjoys eating food right from your plate. However, just because they love it does not mean it is beneficial to them. Your pet may gain weight as a result of those table leftovers. Overweight or obese dogs and cats account for more than half the entire population in the US.
Moreover, the calorie requirements of cats and dogs differ. Here are some figures to give you an idea.
- Only 200 calories per day are required for a 10-pound cat.
- 700 to 900 calories are required for a 50-pound dog.
- Larger dogs can consume up to 1,350 calories in a single sitting.
To keep your pet healthy, a balanced diet must include the following nutrients
- Protein: Protein-rich diets are popular among dogs. Cats are natural carnivores, having descended from hunters.
- Fats: Animal fats and plant seed oils are both sources of dietary fat. They happen to be the primary source of energy in your pet’s diet.
- Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates provide energy, aid digestion, and influence reproductive health. Evidently, it’s important to include carbohydrate-rich food in your pet’s meals.
Besides, a complete pet meal should include adequate fiber, that does away with bacteria in their intestine.
Why should you provide your pet with a balanced diet?
Being a pet owner, you cannot possibly undermine the importance of providing a balanced meal to your dog or cat. It’s recommended to get in touch with a reliable expert if you are not sure what to arrange for the meals. Proper meals will not only keep your pet in good health but help them maintain a smooth and gleaming coat. It would also strengthen their immune system and help them maintain proper digestive order.
What should your pet’s balanced diet include?
- Potato Fiber: Your pet’s dietary fiber comes from this potato fiber. It’s a crucial ingredient for good digestion and stool quality.
- Roasted lamb: Lamb serves as a great source of lean protein. It comes with amino acids that are good for muscles, organs, and the immune system.
- Trout and smoked salmon: The addition of this delectable fish adds a lot of flavor to the dish for your pet. They’re also high in digestible protein, which will help your cat stay healthy.
- Dried chicory root: This prebiotic fiber supports good digestion and nutrient absorption by balancing the probiotic bacteria in the intestines of dogs and cats.
- Sweet Potatoes: This is a great complex carbohydrate source for all-day energy. Sweet potatoes are high in dietary fiber, Vitamins A and C, iron, calcium, and beta carotene.
- Legumes and fruits: Plant-based nutrients can be found in sweet potatoes, peas, tomatoes, blueberries, and raspberries. This significantly promotes general health in pets.
As an animal lover, you have a deep sense of love for your pets. This explains why you should go for properly balanced meals. Of course, you can seek professional support if you are not sure what to feed your pets. Make sure to procure your dog or cat food from a reliable source to ensure proper nutrition. A balanced meal would keep them happy and healthy.